The Adventures of Stinky Sweet:

Sometimes stinky. Sometimes sweet. But it's our life - and it is always good.

Monday, September 14, 2009

a re-read, do-read.

I am reading "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne.
Again.
For the 4th time.

I have never, ever in my life read a book four times and still enjoyed it.
But I am. Enjoying it, that is.
Loving it really...the first time I read it was in India, my team passed it around for weeks so I sped through it trying to get it to the next person. I immediately bought it upon returning to the US and have since read it two more times and loaned it out to a few people who I thought might like it...one didn't give it back (really ok with me though, it's that good but it means I am on my second copy.) It was probably a good thing that I read it the first time while in India because I think my heart and my head were working really good together during those days and were really open to the new, amazing, perfectly sensible ideas.
I hope they still are.
This time, I am highlighting my favorite parts. It's time. I tried not to before because I was loaning the book out and I hate to "push" my favorite parts on people who haven't read it before but I think I am done loaning it out for a while so it is safe to mark and share my favorites.

So, for the next few days I think I will share with you some of my favorite parts, just quotes for you to think about really. If you are interested, you should just go get yourself a copy and read it (sorry, you can't have mine. I am reading it!) I can't even sum up the book for you in a few sentences but basically he is using stories from his life to explain how "unconventional" (by today's standards) Christianity needs to make a comeback, how communities need to take care of each other a little more, and how love needs to be our guide. There is a quote by Gandhi that goes something like "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike your Christ." That's really what this book is about...how as Christians, we should give up worrying about what to call ourselves and worry more about living like Christ.

The part I was highlighting today (reading while on the bike at the gym...I do love to doubletask)...was about injustices happening in the world. People always question why God "allows" bad things to happen, or injustices, or evil, etc...but the better question that Shane asks "You tell me why we allow this to happen. You are my body, my hands, my feet."
Whoa...sorta turns things back around to face you...if we are the hands and the feet of Christ, we have control over how people are treated (or mistreated), how people are loved (or unloved), cared for (or ignored). How will WE live is the question?

0 comments: