The Adventures of Stinky Sweet:

Sometimes stinky. Sometimes sweet. But it's our life - and it is always good.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

good dog?

Gwen and I went to doggie class alone last night, sans Chad because he had to go to a meeting for the city swim league which his team is a part of. I thought he might have to go but I hoped he wouldn't. Gwen was fairly well behaved the very first class when I had to take her without "her boy" but last night she was just not having it. She spent about 90% of the class trying to get out the door. I had to drag her across the room to participate in the first activity and then as soon as we got near the door side of the room she just pulled towards it for about 45 minutes. Finally the teacher made us sit in the middle of the classroom while everyone else worked on each task. She told me that my goal was just to keep Gwen's attention no matter what it took so we played and I gave her treats and did simple things like "sit" and "down" that she knows how to do. With about 15 minutes left of class she realized that we weren't going home and Chad wasn't coming so she decided to participate and actually did really good. Hotdogs are a fabulous motivator! At the very end of class, when the teacher just wraps up and answers questions, everyone else's dogs were dancing around ready to go but I kept Gwen's attention pretty much the whole time. I was proud of those last 5 minutes the most, even if it took an hour to get there!
We are going to do a little more work today and then I have to fold some clothes and go to work. I had a pretty bad headache yesterday...probably the worst since I started taking the migraine meds. I know that I didn't get to the medicine fast enough - should have taken something when I felt it coming on at work but never did until I ran home between work and dog class. It was pretty bad last night, even with the addition of some caffeine (?sp) but finally went away the middle of the night sometime (as I slept on the bathroom floor...not feeling good at all.) I just need to give in and take meds when I feel them coming on as opposed to hoping I can fight it off. It just obviously isn't going to happen so I need to consider my health before my hard head-edness.
This weekend is the women's expo here in town and Paula Dean will be here, along with Staci London (of TLC's "What Not to Wear"). I think Megan and I might go check it out...tickets are only like $20 bucks and they are good for Saturday and Sunday so it might be interesting and fun.

2 comments:

Emily Geyer said...

Where are you doing the doggy classes??

PSIrwin said...

Play Dog Excellent in Red Bank. It is really close to our house and that is why we picked them but I have really liked the lady that is teaching our class. She is in the Mind your Manners class...ha!