The Adventures of Stinky Sweet:

Sometimes stinky. Sometimes sweet. But it's our life - and it is always good.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

the evening

Tonight I convinced my boss to let me leave a big 7 minutes early from work and I rushed home, changed clothes, and drove up Lookout Mountain to watch the last 30 minutes of Chad and Megan's swim meet. They didn't win but it looked like everyone was having fun so I guess it all works out. After the meet, everyone met down at Mr. T's Pizza and Icecream (no, not THAT Mr. T - the one with the chains?) Ate some good pizza, the three of us split an icecream sundae, and then the fun starts...
Chad and I were walking down the sidewalk outside, hand-in-hand (woohoo! a rare public display of affection!), and these kids drove by and yelled out the window (at us, obviously, because we were the only people on the sidewalk at the time) "I hate- insert a specific color- people" (I am not going to justify it any more by repeating the specific phrase because I am so offended by it.)

Let me be clear...they did not say "white people" (which, if you had to pick a color for my husband and I, we would be that color).

Let me be also clear. I don't believe in skin color at all or determining things about people because of their particular shade.
So they yelled something offensive at us.
But not about us.
Immaturity speaks.
Unbelievable immaturity. and hatred. and rudeness.
All of the above being very intolerant and unnecessary.
Ew. Double ew.
How about...I dislike stupid, ignorant, hateful, rude people.


It makes me wanna quote the old faithful DC Talk...

"Pardon me, your epidermis is showing, sir
I couldn't help but note your shade of melanin
I tip my hat to the colorful arrangement
Cause I see the beauty in the tones of our skin
We've gotta come together
And thank the Maker of us all(chorus)
We're colored people, and we live in a tainted place
We're colored people, and they call us the human race
We've got a history so full of mistakes
And we are colored people who depend on a Holy Grace..."

1 comments:

Sis said...

I love you for quoting dc talk on your blog. But that's not the only reason I love you...