I finished my third quilt! This one is a bit smaller than the first one I made but would be perfect for a baby quilt! It is a little masculine but I spiced it up with some red and yellow to mix it up some. I really like it because it is the first quilt that I "designed" myself by drawing it out on graph paper and then figuring out the layout.
Here is a closeup of the fabrics. A yellow hounds tooth, a small red floral, solid light blue, a really simple dark blue circle print, and the veggie print which I am absolutely crazy about. If I could find more of it, I would totally make a veggies skirt.
I sewed the blocks together and then quilted in a primary red so it would show up on the back really well. I quilted diagonal lines across in both directions and I am really glad I took the time to go both ways.
The edges of the squares don't meet up perfectly all over - lots of quilting lessons continue to be learned around here - but overall it looks pretty good. I'm proud of it either way because I'm learning so much and finishing projects (a.k.a. burning through my fabric stash so I can buy more!).
I hand made the binding out of a bright yellow multi dot fabric and I'll never go back to buying store bought bias tape ever again. If you make your own, you have ALL the choices in what it will look like.
I love the binding color and print. I am not incredibly pleased with the way I sewed the binding on. I think that I probably twisted it a bit as I was holding it to hand sew the back so it looks like it twists all the way around. While it isn't intentional - and I will figure out how to not make THAT mistake again - it looks OK now that it has been washed and dried.
I really like how the quilting turned out like diamonds on the back.
If you know someone who is having a baby anytime soon, this would make a great quilt for them! I'd be willing to sell it if someone was interested. Otherwise, I'll just give it to the next baby that I know coming along...or keep it for myself and snuggle under it on the couch.
Just some details:
100% cotton batting
finished size is about 46"x46" square-ish :)